This is the block diagram of an completed audio amplifier from input (microphone for example) to the output (loud speaker). You may add some additional block like an equalizer between pre-amplifier and tone control, or add a crossover between power amplifier anf loudspeaker.
- Microphone – a transducer which converts sound to voltage.
- Pre-Amplifier – amplifies the small audio signal (voltage) from the microphone.
- Tone and Volume Controls – adjust the nature of the audio signal. The tone control adjusts the balance of high and low frequencies. The volume control adjusts the strength of the signal.
- Power Amplifier – increases the strength (power) of the audio signal.
- Loudspeaker – a transducer which converts the audio signal to sound.
The power supply (not shown) is connected to the pre-amplifier and power amplifier blocks.